Thursday, October 18, 2007

Bienvenidos!


Greetings from 30,000 feet! I'm writing this official welcome to my blog while en route to Dallas, where I'll catch my connecting flight to Santiago. I would be dreading the nine-hour trip if it weren't for the fact that the digital maps they usually project on long flights are more than enough to keep me entertained for that long. There's nothing quite as fascinating as watching that little plane creep across the screen with a red trail marking its progress. When you throw in the ability to know speed and outside air temperature, the fun can last for days.

Once the plane on the screen has reached SCL with a 5000-mile red line behind it, I'll try to update this blog regularly to keep you posted on life in the other Down Under. For now, though, I'll try to provide answers to the most common questions I've been asked over the past few weeks.

1. What are you doing in Chile?

At any given moment, probably eating an alfajor or thinking about where I could get one. Aside from that, I'll be doing a part-time journalism internship with The Santiago Times, an English-language online newspaper. The opportunity to work at a newspaper is exciting because I've been thinking recently that writing might be something I'd like to pursue. I have hardly any journalism experience, so I'll learn a lot even if the haveme making coffee (which I actually don't know how to do either). I asked to intern part-time so I could use the rest of each day to work teaching English, waitressing or doing whatever a gringa needs to do to support an extravagant alfajor habit.

2. Why Chile?

Because it's awesome.

3. So does that mean that you like Chile better than Ecuador?

Although it may seem like an overly diplomatic answer, it's very difficult to compare the two. I think Chile will always have a privileged place in my heart because it was the first country in which I spent a significant of time on my own. Also, the fact that I was directly enrolled in university courses there allowed me to assimilate more than in Ecuador, where I spent the greater part of my waking hours surrounded by (awesome) English speakers in a language institute. However, Quito had its own unique brand of magic, and I was able to achieve much more independence there than living with an (also awesome) host family in Chile. I met amazing people and had transformative experiences in both plaes, so saying that I like one more than the other seems blasphemous to me.

4. Where are you living?

On a sofa bed until further notice.

5. What are your future plans?

See #4; it's a good analogy.

There you have it: a brief introduction to Chile: the Redux. Dramatic tales of adventure in the Southern Hemisphere to follow. Friends and family, please keep me posted on your dramatic adventures as well!

P.S. I also made a few posts while I was home in Minneapolis this past month...the ramblings of someone with way too much time on her hands.

3 comments:

Quinn said...

quiqui love leighleigh!

helen said...

LEIGH THOSE TV SCREEN MAPS ARE THE BEST THING EVER

nataliemma said...

I totally agree about the maps!!!

I'm totally jealous of you. I did journalism through high school, was editor-in-chief of the paper, LOVED IT. And then for some unknown reason did not major in Journalism even though I was at the best J-school in the country (go Missouri!)

If they need more interns, I could be SO easily convinced... especially since your paper is in English and my Spanish is 1/100 as developed as yours.

Literally, I'm drooling in my cubicle here.