Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Flor y calavera

I've decided to follow Jessica's lead and explain how this blog got its strange URL. It has to do with the sweatshirt pictured below, a gift from my sister (who, believe it or not, used to steal MY clothes). I have to admit that I felt cool when I saw it on an episode of Gossip Girl a year later.


In case you can't tell, the print is a mix of flowers and skulls -- flores y calaveras. While I was living in Quito, a friend given to sweeping metaphorical generalizations observed, "That sweatshirt is like you. You're a flower and a skull."

This was a friend who very rarely spoke to be understood. Still, I kinda get it. I love Saturday-morning cartoons, colorful socks, pick-up sports games and anything else reminiscent of the era of carefree innocence I don't remember deciding to leave. At the same time, I'm magnetically drawn to abandoned buildings, have a penchant for unnecessary suffering and write stories whose characters are much more likely to die than to fall in love.

I'd say my friend had me pegged.

1 comment:

victoria.magyar said...

Cool Leigh. I'm envious of your Santiago life a little bit. Would it be weird to say you make me proud since I didn't know you that long in person? Well, that's sort of the feeling I get when I read your entries.

Oh, and also, Leigh and V. sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G...