Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wedding bells

At this time last year, I was engaged to a Chilean named Oscar. We had met a scant three months earlier, but we were very much in love and knew we were making the right decision. We were planning our wedding for the Chilean spring.

At least that's what my uncle thought.

See, April Fools Day also happens to be my aunt's birthday. As I finished typing her birthday e-mail, I decided to add a little April Fools prank. Hence, the birth of Oscar. Since I figured it would be anything but funny to lead my entire family to believe I was getting married to someone I had just started dating, I added "April Fools!" at the bottom of the e-mail.

Apparently, my uncle didn't get that far when he was checking his and my aunt's e-mail later that day. He -- usually a relatively stoic guy -- sent my mom a frantic e-mail with multiple exclamation points in the subject line and even more disbelieving question marks in the main text.

My mom, in turn, forwarded his e-mail to me to make sure I was kidding. My uncle, in the meantime, had left on a business trip and was unable to be reached by phone.

Oh, goodness.

The funny part is that my aunt, the person for whom the prank was intended, reacted to my nuptial news the way one intends people to react to April Fools jokes: with a few moments of shock quickly followed by the realization that she had been had.

I guess this just goes to show that one should exercise caution when pulling pranks from afar.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm excited about the enthusiastic reaction to the book club idea. Let's do it! Logistical information to come.

5 comments:

lydia said...

hahahah, tyffanie should post her story from 2 years ago, similar but WAY more in depth and without the april fools part at the end!

i swear i was freaking out what shoes to wear to the wedding that wouldn't make me taller than angel.

great story though, i bet your aunt was so used to thinking about pranks since everybody probably mentions or talks about them on her bday!

i had a whole April fools lesson planned for today but... in the end everybody cancelled class.

La Chilengüita said...

Hahahaha...I was just going to say that Christian and I pulled the same thing 2 years ago, but Lydia beat me to it. I should post a story about it along with the various remarks and stories we heard. hahahaha...

Leigh said...

OK Tyffanie, you definitely have to post about your April Fools prank now!

Helen said...

hahaha i remember that.

getting that kind of a rise out of my dad is quite an accomplishment. isn't it so funny when it happens though?

Leigh said...

Helen, at the time I felt too guilty to find it funny...I figured that I must have done something really terrible if I had gotten your dad so riled up!