Friday, May 29, 2009

Mr. Darcy on the Metro

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a handsome man wearing a top hat on the Santiago subway, must be in want of a gringa to fall in love with him. And so it transpired yesterday, when I saw Mr. Darcy on the Metro.

I had just stepped into my carriage (subway car) when I noticed him sitting staidly in an orange plastic seat. There was nothing exceptional about his clothing -- except for the Austenesque top hat that towered over the balding heads of the two men flanking him.

Handsome, handsomely sedate and wearing a handsome top hat. This was none other than Mr. Darcy.

Looking back, there were a number of ways I could have started a conversation, including, "Hey, I like your hat" (the witty banter would have come later). Nevertheless, I succumbed to shyness and hurried away to the nearest handrail.

How despicably I have acted, Jane. And I don't just regret it because he was cute. It takes a brave spirit to wear a top hat in a city where people tend to stare at the outlandishly dressed.

So if you see a guy walking around Santiago in a top hat, give him my e-mail, please.

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Ahhh! Cute guy in a top hat... 'twil make a gringa's heart flutter every time! (next time take a picture to share with the rest of us!) ;-)

Abby said...

When I first came to Chile, there was a Chilean Mr. Darcy living in the room I live in right now. Except for his name was Abdom, which kind of sounds like Abdomen, and is not sexy or endearing at all.

Leigh said...

If only my cell phone had a very discreet camera...

Did Abdom wear a top hat, too?

Annie said...

I'm ashamed of how many times I've fled to a far-away handrail in these situations... Sure, most of my public transport memories are those of being stepped on or groped (sometimes both at once). Then there was Bruno, a Parisian who tried to convince me my entire commute that 'love has no language'. But one never does know! I hope you get a second chance :) xx

Eileen said...

hilarity personified. Loved this. A top hat, you say. Perhaps he had a rabbit secreted inside!

Sara said...

You should have tried to say something stupid, like "Hey is the next stop pedro de valdiva?" *giggle* Men like that, I'm sure would love to help a gringa out.

Juan K Peña said...

mmmm. Should I get a top hat?