Friday, June 19, 2009

Woodpeckers from space

This week at work (yep, I've been frequenting a place that meets that description), we've been listening to Radio X, a station that seems to specialize in funk, showtunes, "Video Killed the Radio Star" and "Runaway Train." I much prefer it to the station we were listening to last week, Radio Amadeus, which broadcasts uninterrupted elevator music with lyrics that include "shoobady bah baaaah."

Say what you will about Radio Amadeus, but it was Radio X that played the following song this afternoon:



This is not the first time a Chilean soundtrack has left me grasping for an explanation -- any explanation. After "Woodpeckers from Space" came into my life, I started to suspect that these (in my view) questionable music choices may have less to do with DJs' filters than with cold, hard economics. I'd be willing to bet that the rights to "Woodpeckers from Space" are significantly more affordable than those to...well, most other songs.

In my fantasy, the stereo speakers at work emit what I consider the more pleasant sounds of Radio Uno, Radio Horizonte, Rock and Pop or FM Tiempo. However, since the chances of this actually happening are about the same as the chances of me making it through the next six months without getting tear gassed...fly on, spacepecker, fly on.

P.S. I know it goes without saying, but I won't be offering many details about my job on this blog. I've already been internet stalked once, and it's not an experience I'd care to repeat. Suffice it to say that 1) it's not teaching English and 2) it's something I've always wanted to do.

4 comments:

Emita said...

that song just made my night. someone must have a sick sense of humor...plus now i'm trying to picture exactly what job you might have where this is the background music...intriguing ;)

noel said...

Frightening...

Eileen said...

oh. my.

I can't say I've ever heard that song before, or that I ever hope to hear it again. I'm with you on the Chilean radio WTF though, and am glad you've found your dream job!

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh,

I'm just a random passer-by who happened upon your blog while reading other "Chile" blogs. I lived in Santiago for a few years, and am married to a beautiful chilena I met there :) We now live in Oklahoma. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading several of your posts. You have a real talent for writing! Keep it up :)

Chris