Sunday, November 8, 2009

Just what the doctor ordered

While standing in line at the pharmacy counter this afternoon, I noticed a set of purple boxes stacked inside a display case. The featured product? NastiGrip.

Finally! A medicine that promises to make every santiaguin@'s daily commute less harrowing by painlessly eliminating those pesky public transportation passengers who apparently cannot resist the compulsion to enclose certain parts of neighboring bodies in their nasty grip (or use a packed bus as an excuse to rub up against them from behind, which also counts). I can picture the animated graphics now: squeeze-poised hands being surrounded and pulverized by armies of valiant purple dots. Oh, the relief of knowing one's ass is (not literally) in such good hands.

OK, I don't have to explain to the Spanish speakers out there that NastiGrip is actually flu medicine. "Gripe" is Spanish for flu, and as for Nasti -- well, I guess I don't have any idea where they got that from.

Oh, well. Until science gets its act together, I guess we'll have to find other ways to defend ourselves against rush-hour molestation. Wouldn't it be nice if you could simply pop a pill and make that slimy fellow passenger and his/her grasping hands dissolve like bothersome nasal congestion? Hopefully, our children will know just such a world.

Has anyone else out there come across humorous product names in foreign countries? I'll throw in another one: I always feel self-conscious when I sit down at a Chilean restaurant and order a bottle of Pap.

7 comments:

Abby said...

Hahaha I wish that remedy existed!! Aggh I hate rush hour public transport. Anyway, I have kind of an opposite example. The other day in class we read an article called something like "Changes in Lifestyles Lead to Obesity" and I asked my students "What is Lifestyle?" and they all answered in chorus: "A condom!!!" Har har har har.

Leigh said...

Hahaha, that reminds me of what one of my Ecuadorian students said once. She was talking about a documentary she'd seen on China and wanted to say that the apartment buildings were really big. I think she had the Spanish word "condominio" in mind, because she ended up talking passionately about how enormous Chinese condoms were.

Margaret said...

Abby- I love it!
One year when I was wrapping up a semester with a particularly whiney group of exchange students I tried to get them to focus on the good things about Chile that they would miss. One student said "Feelings" and of course I thought she was getting at the sentimental side of her stay. The class all laughed because THEY knew she was talking about the chocolate covered ice cream bar!

Anonymous said...

Chinese condoms ... for the men who need just a little more. Hahaha

Sara said...

Would that product work for that guy who decided to push his sweaty butt into my hand that was gripping onto the hand railing? I hope so.

Leigh said...

eeewww i hope so.

Pedro A. said...

As a Spanish speaker I needed the explanation that Nastigrip is flu medicine. After that I can tell you that it probably is made either by the same laboratory or by a competitor laboratory of the one that makes Nastizol. —goes to Google for a moment— Same laboratory, same prefix. I think the "nas" part may come from "nasal".