Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Canciones pa'l recuerdo

In which Leigh dates herself

The other day, my sister, Q. -- queen of both Latin pop and bursting spontaneously into song -- busted out a superb rendition of "Angel" by Mexican singer Belinda. I hadn't heard the song in ages, but it immediately transported me back to the days when I was an exchange student in Santiago and the then-teenage pop starlet's voice chirped from what seemed to be every speaker in the city. I've heard that smell is the sense most tightly tied to memory, but if my response to "Angel" is any indication, hearing is right up there with it.

I began compiling a mental list of other songs that could act as trans-hemispheric time machines. Most of them are lip-smackingly cheesy. Not all of them are in Spanish. Hardly any of them are Chilean. They are, however, the songs that consumers of mainstream Santiago media heard during that time, whether on TV, in the Metro, on pop radio stations or at dance clubs. If you lived in Chile at or around the time I studied abroad there -- which I think a sizable slice of my blog readership did -- you'll recognize them and, I hope, have a little laugh.

So, here you have 'em: canciones pa'l recuerdo.

What songs take you back?


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Mayonesa, anything by Axe Bahia, Me Gustas Tu, A Little Less Conversation (the Oceans 11 remix)

Leigh said...

I remember Axe Bahia! There was a specific song of theirs that was always on (and that everyone else knew a line dance to), but I've never been able to find it.