Friday, October 7, 2011

Santiago en 100 Palabras: Hombres

Hombres

En mi trabajo conozco a muchos hombres. Los conozco en callejones, en los costados de las carreteras, en piezas con olor a moho y sudor. Una vez conocí a uno en un penthouse donde había un tucán enjaulado. Sí, es difícil, pero me las arreglo para que no se note. Por ejemplo, dejé de maquillarme después de la primera noche, cuando conocí a un cumpleañero adolescente con cachetes de querubín. El rímel trazó surcos negros en mis mejillas cuando escribí en el expediente: “sobredosis fatal.”


**A few years ago, I submitted this to the Chilean short story contest Santiago en 100 Palabras, which I love almost as much as I love a giant spoonful of peanut butter. Nope, it didn't win. The upside? I get to publish it here instead of laboring over an original post and falling asleep at the keyboard.

Ever dreamed of seeing your words emblazoned above the doors of a subway car? If so, you're in luck: Santiago en 100 Palabras will be launching their 2011 contest any day now. (Not so) Coincidentally, they will simultaneously launch a little book of stories that there's a super secret special reason why you should snag.

Anyone else have a story to share? Please link or share in the comments section! Don't post anything you're planning to submit this year; you won't want there to be any exclusivity issues when you win!

2 comments:

Kyle said...

I wrote one with Santiago en 100 Palabras in mind a few years ago, but never submitted it because it was too filled with swear words. Apparently I'm not capable of writing about my adopted country without cursing :)

Leigh said...

Hm, I'm trying to remember if I've read any with swear words. There have been some with some semi-explicit sexual content, but maybe they're prudish when it comes to some things and not to others. You should definitely submit one this year! The Spanish writing that you post on your blog is always great.